Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chinese New Year Conversations

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with the assignments for this module.

Somebody I knew was going away to avoid this Chinese New Year period. Though I love the chinese new year goodies and receiving red packets, I do not really like how typical conversations go every year when I meet my relatives. Hence, I can understand why people would want to escape such hypocrisy during this season.

When I was 7 years old, older relatives would be asking how I was coping with the primary 1 school work. During my following schooling years, I would be compared to my other cousins of the same age. Mothers would congregate and discuss how many band 1s or As that we have/have not achieved or which stream we were streamed into. They never seem to get tired of that topic. Some years when I knew I did well, I would like to step out and say yes I did well. Other years when I knew I did less than satisfactory, I would just like to hide in a small corner and hope nobody will disturb me. Having older cousins who were scholars and future lawyers did not ease the burden either. Over the years, I have learnt to accept that I have done my best and if my best still do not meet their expectations, there is nothing much that I can do. They seem to have accepted that too because they stopped comparing once I stepped into university. Well, it was probably also due to the different courses pursued that cannot be compared.

I thought I have finally got rid of such awkward questions. However, they seem to be bent on asking me more difficult questions. They asked, "so you are graduating soon, have you started looking for jobs? What kind of jobs are you looking for?" and they try to give me advice. (Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate it) But they don't like it that I say that I'm keeping my options open. And they would start teasing me, saying that next time they would see me at a random construction site wearing those Phua Chu Kang (local sitcom character) yellow boots and safety helmet. If there's one thing about my future that I'm sure of, it will be that joining a contractor firm is out of the question for me. I guess the nature of my degree makes me especially susceptible to such stereotyping.

Another question that my older cousins (who are married) like to ask me is, "When are you getting married?" Obviously, they want to give one less red packet and instead let their children 'benefit' from my 'marriage'. That is one question that will be repeated till the day I finally get married. It's such an awkward question to answer. In fact, as a traditional girl, it's almost impossible to answer because we would not know when our boyfriends would decide to propose. Single journalists also like to lament such problems in their own newspaper column. I read an interesting  article that says that his reply would always be "Soon. My wedding will be held on 31st June". It worked for a few years until someone realised that there is no such date. I found that quite amusing. It seems everyone, not just me, face such awkward questions and have their own ways of handling it.

I foresee that marriage is not the end to such nagging questions. Once married, relatives would ask about when the couple is going to have a baby. Once the first baby is out, the next question would most naturally be when would they have the next one. Then there will be questions of school choices for the children and results. It seems this goes full cycle. Sometimes I really do think that such chatter is meaningless and insincere that you only try to 'actively' act concern for someone during this special time of the year.

Do you share the same sentiments? Or perhaps after taking this module, you have devised a better way of handling such situations. If you do, please share.

4 comments:

  1. Sup Michelle,

    That was some scheme you have there; for why else do I feel so empathetic; after reading what you wrote, and I dare say the same for everybody else too, if it weren't personally, and willfully, designed for? How crafty was it of you, Michelle, to get us so quickly into a unanimous and agreeable mood, that I even thought your fault laid, in not prefacing us of it!

    But this fault of yours, Michelle, was unusually well-received, which will be your surprise, by me and perhaps others too; for setting in chain a most wondrous and serene feeling, that of which empathy, in all of us, call its kindred. I and we are most blessed to feel this way, in one with you; and we can subscribe to your affect most, consequently.

    Yet, Michelle, even though I have given you noble praise concerning your emotional maturity; and your ability to prejudice us, similarly, into it; I urge you to reconsider a few of your sentiments, of which I so incline to call preconceived.

    You mentioned, good Mitchelle, this: "Hence, I can understand why people would want to escape such hypocrisy during this season."

    I, we, could thoroughly empathize with you, Mitchelle: but saying that yours, mine, or our relatives are engaged in hypocritical behavior should be the furthest thing from our minds. You are really saying your relatives are no better than a bunch of criminals, because only the latter are nearly as adept at deception as hypocrisy itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hypocrisy is saying/doing/thinking one thing and doing a completely different saying/doing/thinking. For instance, Mitchelle, if your future husband told you he loves you in front of your face, but you overhear him saying the complete opposite to his friends another day; he has contradicted himself and have truely gotten into a situation with hypocrisy.

    But consider the state of your relatives: could you call them hypocrites, unless they exhibited dialectical dispositions; such as hating you so strongly behind your back one time, but appearing a loving and caring manner in front of your presence? No, you couldn't Mitchelle, or would I be wrong in that? I cannot half-believe one's relative can have any hatred for one, because it goes against reasonable logic. And unless you so severely slighted one or all of your relatives, and they consequently displayed dialectical and contradictory responses in their interaction with you, you can hardly call them hypocrites? Wouldn’t that, now, make more sense?

    Your relatives love you, Mitchelle, perhaps not as much as your parents, or your future husband, or God Himself; but they certainly know you as one of theirs, by virtue of their relationship with your parents. Hypocrisy is an impossible charge, Mitchelle. Obligation sounds like more appropriate.

    Obligation is a duty, or role performed; one not out of hypocrisy. Hypocrisy says: it is my curse; obligation says: it is my duty; but the best of them all, Mitchelle, love (God's love especially) says: it is my utter pleasure, beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obligation is bounded by governing lore, laws, rules, of means of acting, and is at least taken up with less hostility and contradiction as hypocrisy. An obligated agent may control and put off his hostility better and more effectively, precisely because it is obligation! An obligated agent is given to and governed by moral ethics such as communitarianism or patriotism; and in such high morality, hypocrisy may not take root because it is totally inconsistent. An obligated agent, though he hates some thing or body, will nonetheless force himself to love that thing or body, PRECISELY BECAUSE IT IS OBLIGATION!!! And by obligation, he would HAVE TO HAD destroy and replace all hostile and contradictory feelings and thoughts with OBLIGATED AND APPROPRIATE, LOVE, REGARD, OR OTHER ONES, THAT ARE MAINSTREAM ENOUGH TO THE COMMUNITY OR TERRITORY IN WHICH HE LIVES!

    Therefore Mitchelle, your relatives are rather obligated, not hypocrites. You should be thankful Mitchelle, that they continue to ask you such questions, because they serve as evidence of recognition of your existence in this world, if anything!!!

    While I, we, can empathiZe with you, Mitchelle, I am never going to excuse myself for having any of such distasteful feelings, and you shouldnt too. And that is because we need to learn to change our perceptions, and therefore judgements on a supposedly negative situation! Why can’t, you or we, think: "Oh wow, I feel so pleasurable and blessed that my aunt and cousin asked so much similar things about me as past years'." Why must we be SO INCLINED to think NEGATIVE than positive, Mitchelle? Why, why, why???!!! Why can’t we, Mitchelle, have more affinity with positive, and therefore only have positive judgement about things? Why must questions ask by your cousins and relatives be BAD, just because you heard them for years and so think you HAVE THE RIGHT TO feeling negatively affected? Can’t you see, Mitchelle that your being negatively affected are all an illusion???!!!? Why, Mitchelle, are we so able to perceive such innocent questions, or anything in fact, as BAD? Has our mind been so tainted by the evils of socialization, or should it not have already been resurrected by Christ's death on Calvary???????!!?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You see Mitchelle, it all boils down to our innermost psyches/minds/spirits/souls, which as I mentioned, is largely manipulated and framed by socialization, IN SINGAPORE! Our socialization, in the singaporean way/psyche/mind, is uniquely at fault, Mitchelle; because in England, Mitchelle, English relatives mingle and interact so assuredly and convicted of heart and their love, that their socialization in that aspect of their domestic far exceeds the one in Singapore. But of course English socialization has other evils; just as every socialization in every territory has theirs because they are all different. So Mitchelle, what I am asking you to do is two-pronged.

    Get out of that Singaporean mindset you have when you are around relatives, family members and the like. I meant you get out of the negative aspect of the Singaporean socialization or agency and keep the positive one (if there is even any at all!!!!). The second is to get out of the negative Singaporean agency by becoming highly aware of how you perceive things, which right now is almost always negatively, and try from now on to find positive, or pleasure and joy, in every affair; social, marital, economical, domestic, professional, of your life!!!!! But of course you or I, cannot simply expect you to start desiring and having joy right away in visiting your relatives on festive occasions, nor to have positive only perceptions, and therefore judgements, about every single body or thing right away; because that is not humanly possible. That is why Mitchelle, you have a God to help you achieve that; and only he can empower you, and will do so, if you ALSO truly desire, by pray and petition.

    Cheers

    Dios te ama

    ReplyDelete